Old 07-22-13, 10:12 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I thought I'd love bibs as well, and while I don't have any major problems with them, after 5 years of riding, I definitely prefer shorts. I never have any issues with comfort, tightness in the waist, or any other so-called things that people typically say bibs do better - the comfort is identical in both for me, and I"ve used 5 different brands of bibs and shorts, all of which work fine for me.

The small convenience plus that makes me slightly prefer shorts:

1) Slightly easier to go to the bathroom. Actually, it's really not a on-road issue I'm talking about, it's at HOME pre-ride when you're getting ready for your ride and already put on all your bike clothing for a cold weather and realize you have to do that pre-ride #2 bathroom run. Off comes the jacket, jersey, cold weather base layer, all because you have to get those darn bibs off. WIth shorts, you can leave it all on (most of it at least) and hit the toilet. I actually find zero difference peeing on the ride between shorts and bibs - you just pull down with the bibs - it's the same as shorts.

2) I actually like the compression of the waistband. Maybe because I was a runner my whole life so that's what I'm used to, but I like that feeling there of some elastic.

3) Takes up less room when you're hand washing and rinsing it off after a short ride and hanging it to dry in the shower on a hook. Yes, it's trivial but it's a plus that makes the spouse a little less annoyed with it.

But again, I'd be fine riding bibshorts if for whatever reason I could no longer wear the shorts.