Old 07-23-13, 08:55 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I haven't seen that brand advertised in our area but am not sure what all the nearest LBS carries. I do know they have Giant. I live in a little town and its 50 miles to the closest place that carries bikes, The Bike Shop in Wichita Falls . We have a Walmart but I am not even looking there. If not there its Fort Worth or Dallas and I don't really want to shop there unless I have to. We are heading up there in a hour or so to check them out.
Test ride the roam out on the road and see what you think. I really despise a front shocked bike for road riding because if you want to stand and crank, (or even sit and spin hard) you lose a lot of energy to the up/down motion of the shock--unless it's a lock out shock. And then, you have to hope that the lockout works every time.

I'd say look at the Giant Escapes, especially the 'City'. Aluminum frame, steel fork, fenders and rack already on it, 24 speeds with tires big enough to handle packed down dirt and gravel. It rolls easy on the road and rough roads don't bother it.