Old 07-27-13, 01:29 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
National Senior Games, low 60's, windy, raining, 1st place. Finally, a national medal. Never got one. There were about 50 riders in my field. We started a minute behind the 50-54, and caught and passed them on lap 3 of 4. The pace was slow. My time was 1:04. Weak attacks went on the up grades but a team of 3 kept bringing them back. Fine by me. On the last lap, the three slowed on an up grade and were looking for someone to do some work, so I attacked on the windward side into the head/cross wind. I got into my tick, looking down but not back until 30-40 seconds. When I looked back, I had 200 meters. The last thing I heard was "uh-oh". I soloed for the next five miles until I caught another rider right before the lead up to the sprint. I beat him up the hill and around the final turn but he got me at the line. Didn't matter, he was 60+ and got the best overall time. I have pics that my son took that I will upload later. Currently basking in the hot tub and will attend the medalist celebration later.

Thanks to my son who has been a tremendous support system, my wife and older son for checking in while I was suffering out there, my fellow Northeast racers who congratulated me afterwards, my team for the moral support when times were bad, and for my amazing coach who can take a wreck of a season and turn it into gold.

Tomorrow I will be marked but I will be doubly aggressive.