View Single Post
Old 08-03-13, 09:27 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Most likely, they are Kool Stop or Skyway air cooled brake pads....
I recently found an NOS set in an LBS having an old stock clearance sale...

After some research on them, I found out that Kool Stop was the first maker of these brakes sometime maybe in the late 70's or early 80's, and then another maker called Skyway took over production after. For some reason they are also more popular with the BMX restorers that like to mount them on early BMX bikes. How it might work better on BMX bikes is a mystery to me, but I think it's more of the looks that attracted BMXers.
They came in two versions from Kool Stop. One with angled pad faces for use I guess on aero section rims, and another with flat faced pads, to use with box section rims. I got the one and only set the LBS was selling which was an angled pad version......for 5 bucks!
Later versions of the brake pads had less number of aluminum cooling fins than the original Kool Stop design, which makes the ones on the bike in the pic, most likely Skyways....

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 08-03-13 at 09:39 AM.