Old 08-05-13, 09:15 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Broke a 2nd one after only 3 miles...I'm done for now... i will wait until my LBS where i bought the bike from gets back from Vacation...I am pissed that i wasted a 1.5 hour ride and $30 at Perf. Bikes...Now i can't ride for the rest of the week because i am not wasting more money on something that is only a month old and will be fixed for free...
I'd be upset too!
ARE these 32 spoke wheels?

The problem is the spokes are UNDERTENSIONED.
As the wheel rolls, the spoke goes slack and then as it goes 180 degrees, it gets kind of a "running start" to heavy tension and over flexes the J bend. FATIGUE. (Boing....Boing....)
Also, if all the spokes are "loose", each individual spoke takes more of a load, instead of the adjacent spokes "sharing" the load.

Double butted spokes are thinner in the middle and that reduced section "absorbs" some of the elongation that occurs as the wheel rolls, "sparing" the J bend to some extent.
Look at your rear wheel-
When you pedal, you are basically attempting to "unwind" 1/2 your spokes
That reduces tension on those and increases tension on the "drive" spokes.

Something else I would do is go to a slightly larger tire IF it will fit.
I'm 235 and tried a 23mm on the front of my Hybrid.
Too harsh. Something like a 25-28mm would be more appropriate for your weight and also absorb a lot more impact from the road, saving the wheel.
I'm running 26's and it really cut down on the "road buzz" to my hands.
At least consider larger for the rear, since that wheel carries about 60% of your weight..

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-05-13 at 09:25 AM.