Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
^^^^
You're describing how ultra-shift works, not power-shift. Ultra-shift has 6 clicks, but only 3 or 4 are needed to operate a triple and the 6 are needed to operate a triple. Any of the clicks, thumb button or finger lever can move 1 click at a time.

With power-shift, the function is more Shimano-like. Only 1 click of the thumb button drops the chain from the big ring to the middle ring of a triple or the little ring of a double. In this respect, the shifters do index, just like Shimano.

For 2013, there are triple specific and double specific power-shift levers. The double version probably only has 4 clicks. Earlier years worked with either doubles or triples.
Okay you have me confused. First I erred believing the a standard Veloce left shifter would also shift a double; the triple shifter (10x3) is a different shifter, however when reading the 2013 Veloce Power-shift specs and it clearly says "it takes 3 notches to raise the the chain on the the front derailleur to the upper chainring . For a triple crankset repeat the operation to position the on the largest chainring." this would mean to me that it takes 3 clicks for a double and 6 clicks for a triple. Further the "Technical Specifications" says "front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility - multiple shifting." This also leads me to believe that front shifting is based on Campy's micro-adjustment technology, not a one click index..I think we agree on all this, but I would add that the OP is asking about setting up a double and since it takes 3 clicks between chainrings (again a total of six for a triple) you can hardly call it indexing. However the description of the triple shifter also say specially indexed for a triple, which I believe is for one click downshifting.

In an earlier post, this how a user of the 2011 Veloce described the Power Shift. I would say the front shifting is almost as good as the newest Shimano groups. If you set up the front derailleur as suggested with 3 clicks I never seem to have trim the front when on the big chainring to get all the rear sprockets without scraping. You can microclick the front derailleur back towards the small chainring by pushing the shift paddle in while pushing down on the shifting ear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
veloce.JPG (65.4 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 08-05-13 at 07:53 PM.