Old 08-10-13, 08:07 PM
Bikeforumuser0011

Bikes: Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
Be careful with back jersey pockets. I've lost stuff out of mine. Zippered cargo shorts would probably work as long as you don't take a rock to the pocket. Contusions heal, phones do not. I usually stuff mine in my Camelbak, buried with enough stuff that hopefully it's safe (or at the very least, safer). I'm all for carrying a phone in case you need it and have service...mine has saved my life once. I'd just recommend hiding it somewhere where it's less likely to break.

If you really want to get data during your ride (I take it you're a racer?), hmm. On a road bike, I'd recommend a Cateye Strada, but I'm not sure how effective that would be because your rear tire isn't in constant contact with the ground the way it is on a road bike. Your best bet might be GPS. Garmin makes their edge computers, but those are pricey, and we're back to the mounting expensive hardware on the bars where you'll break them scenario. Honestly, if it were me and I were racing and wanted speed/distance feedback, I'd probably buy a cheap Garmin Forerunner watch (one of the $130 ones, so when I inevitably smacked it against a rock and scratched/broke it, I wouldn't be too upset). Or one of the cheap Timex or Soleus $100 GPS watches.
Thanks! I don't want to track my rides, just listen to music, and have it in case of an emergency.