Old 08-10-13, 09:22 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Riding on Seattle streets and trails - mountain or hybrid?

Hi.

I'm in the market for a new bike. My current one is a mountain bike (Gary Fisher Marlin), but since I plan on riding mostly on the streets in and around Seattle, with occasional rides on trails like Burke-Gilman and Interurban, I'm wondering whether I should opt for a hybrid model or buy another mountain bike.

The one mountain bike I am considering is the GT Avalanche 2.0. I just test-rode a 3.0 Hydraulic and liked the feel of it. (The shop didn't have a 2.0 with the appropriate frame size for me.) Are there any other mountain bikes I should consider? Or should a hybrid bike be a better fit for me? If so, any bikes to check out?

I've been told that brands like Trek and Specialized are generally overpriced, but I'm a novice myself and can't really tell.

My current pattern is a commute between home and transit centre (about 2 miles one way) every day, plus riding around the neighbourhood for about half an hour 3-4 times a week. Like I said I plan on riding on the local trails too, though I haven't "debuted" there yet.

Thanks in advance for your advice!