View Single Post
Old 08-11-13, 07:12 PM
TrackMonkey7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shall be watching this thread closely.

Since my local track program ended, I've had to change my goals from a track specific focus, to a more road specific focus. However, I think that if most folks who are fairly knowledgeable about training looked at my program, they'd be fairly confused. It probably looks like I train both like a road racer and a track sprinter at the exact same time. My in-season program has me lifting M/F with only 3 lifts on either day. Then on Tuesday I have a high intensity group ride focusing more on sprinting. Thursday I have a sprint/climb group ride that gives me around 55 miles. Lately on Fridays I've been doing a few high intensity intervals or speed work, and weekends are a bit of wildcard as I might go racing or do a long distance tempo ride on Sunday.

When the road season ends, I like to dabble in 'cross to keep me fit into the winter months (beer is nice, too), but I typically start ramping up the lifting at that point. I keep the volume in the gym high and the bike stuff low for as long as I can, so I can carry as much strength into the racing season as I can. This year I'm thinking of dividing my base mileage rides with my winter break from school. That is, I'll do base mileage before my winter break and after, but not during. I think I'll keep that month to myself and just lift and do some trainer stuff. When the group base mileage rides start getting more frequent, I'll drop the volume in the gym. Next year I'm thinking of doing a larger transitional period focusing on generating power and more bike work than usual, then during the racing season lifting 1x a week.

Ugh. Being your own coach is tough, but fun. You are your own guinea pig.