Old 08-12-13, 11:32 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Sometimes, calling for the ride is the best option. It was in my case, I think.

- I don't carry a chain tool anymore. Sure, I could have probably fixed it with a chain tool, but this is like a once in a lifetime event. Not worth jiggering with a portable chain tool, imo. If I were doing a multiday event, I'd definitely carry such hardware, but not on a weekend training ride where I know I can get a ride. My last experience with a portable chain tool was so horrible that I'm sure it would have ended badly and frustratingly so even if I did have a portable chain tool on hand. I'm ok messing with chains at home, but not on the road.

- You want to rachet pedal or hobby horse for 22 miles home with 1200ft of climbing en route?
1) This and a quick link works fine on the raod and takes virtually no space:

2) on the hobby horse approach, the 1200 vertical feet actually works to your advantage. You can walk/run uphill close to as fast as pedaling steep grades, then you get to coast downhill.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.