View Single Post
Old 08-15-13, 05:12 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Our Latest Big Adventure, some C&V

I finally have time to write a ride report. (Some of these pics have been posted elsewhere.)

This past weekend a bunch of us did a 3-day/2-night camping tour. Participating were BF members Bern (berner), Tom (noglider) and Carol, Dallas (photogravity) and Rachel on their Bilenky tandem, and Tom's and Carol's friends Dan and Louise. And my sweetie/stoker Sharon of course with me on our Peugeot tandem. From our perspective this ride was distinctly C&V!

We'd planned to leave our house in Waltham on Friday and pedal northeast to Harold Parker State Forest, on Saturday morning head west to a private campground in Littleton, then return home on Sunday. Each leg would be about 40 miles, forming a big Y. Friday's terrible weather said no, so we reversed the route and started on Saturday.

Day 1 - People and bikes showed up!

Our loaded vintage tandem, about 100lbs:

After a few technical glitches involving a tire, a spoke, two space nymphs, and a dilithium release valve we finally hit the road. We rode north to the Minuteman Bikeway, then west to Bedford. By then it was apparent that we had two very different riding styles and too large a group to keep together. So I gave Tom, Carol, Dan, and Louise directions to follow a more direct route, and the rest of us headed off on my original route. (Actually, I didn't want to take our loaded tandem up a few hills which I knew they could handle easily.)

On the way both groups found an ice cream stand. L to R: Dallas, Rachel, Sharon, Bern.

Since we'd taken a longer route we ended up behind the others but caught up with them when they stopped on rt225 about 30 miles into the day. Then we rode together to the campground. After setting up camp Sharon and I rode off to a supermarket a few miles away on an unloaded bike. And Tom, Carol, Dan, and Louise walked off to a restaurant in their bike shoes, which turned out to be not such a great idea when the distance ended up more than expected! The rest of us had DINNER!

Morning comes early when you're traveling by bike. But a few people aren't awake yet.

Eventually we got packed up and ready to roll. In front: Bern. L to R: Rachel, Dallas, Sharon, myself, Tom, Carol, Dan, Louise.

Continued...

Last edited by jimmuller; 08-15-13 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Who has time to preafrood?