Old 08-19-13, 11:01 AM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
yeah, ya need a rain bike if you're riding with heavy road spray.

For those who might not know, when you ride in heavy road spray, water gets in everywhere, and i mean, EVERYWHERE. I rode in heavy rain recently, and when i checked the bike later, there was water even inside the hubs, along with everywhere else (the frame, the tyres, etc)! My "sealed" 10sp Shimano BB bearings still have water in them.

Ya don't want ya fancy 'race-day' hubs on ya $3000 Zipps getting full of water.

A bit of drizzle here and there is one thing, but 'serious' rain is another fish kettle of cats and dogs
I was using my hard-tail MTB with Bontrager clip-on fenders, for bad weather/winter riding and road spray got into everything. Even on pavement there is lots of dirt and grime left behind when it dries.

Found a deal on Kijiji for an aluminum hybrid, with 3 speed IGH, disc brakes and 26" wheels; and am in the process of converting to rain/bad weather/winter commuter. Waiting for full coverage fenders coming in the mail - rode it for hours in heavy rain with clip-ons and there was a lot of spray. But no drive train / braking issues, When I got home hosed it off & lubed the chain. Adding front/rear racks and will of course need studded tires for the Canadian winter ahead.