View Single Post
Old 08-20-13, 09:39 AM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cody,

Congratulations on your motivations to ride your bike. A 10 mile commute is a long one and should be plenty to give you great physical results - especially with an occasional longer ride on the weekend.

"I've let her tail me a few times..."

It's hard for me to understand this "mothering." This might not be popular but this is what I did when I was a teenager and my parents did not understand my working out and they didn't support my sport (albeit in the less-than-parental-nannyistic 1980s). What a parent doesn't know won't hurt them - my parents didn't know how long I was riding or what cycling events I was entering (or that I blew $10.00 on upgraded SKS Campy copy pedals). Is it possible to go on longer rides that your mom does not have to know about? I'm not suggesting lying to her but take a longer route to or from school. Be creative. Can you go on an extra "errand?" When you ride to the store, can you go to the one that is three mile farther away? You're not lying, you're just getting more miles on your bike which is your goal, right?

Also, would your mom be supportive of a group ride - a weekend ride with other cyclists like you? Safety in numbers? Anyway, we all know that with all of our commutes and all of the miles ridden per day by all of us in most/all communities cycling accidents are statistically EXTREMELY rare. (I know, I know, we all have anacdotal comments supporting the contrary - I'm just relaying statistical facts and we all wouldn't ride our bikes if we thought we were in undue danger)

Cody, commuting 10 miles a day can be difficult enough without support of your family. Good luck on that and keep it up when you can.