Old 08-20-13, 03:11 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Blinking to get attention and solid for tracking is well supported by studies.
Tracking is also best with 2 or more sources at a distance from each other, preferably horizontal distance. Tracking is as or more important then attention when it comes to accident avoidance. Studies showed that speed mis-estimation played a major role in motorcycle accidents.

I am a firm believer in redundancy and overkill.

This is what I'm running now.

Passive lighting.
front
I put like 6 inches white of 1 inch 3m scotchlite on the from forks,
rear
6 inches of red on the rear frame of the rack. I also taped up the cranks with red scotchlite. This can be seem from front sides and rear.

There is reflective tape on my pack (sides and rear) as well as my marathons sidewalls. New helmet is sadly lacking but this will be fixed if I decide to keep using it.

Active lighting.
rear:
The cateye barrel TL-LD1100 mounted to rear of rack. It is out of production but has 2 rows of 5 leds each row switchable. I run one row constant and one blinking. It can be seen from more then 180 degrees and is fairly bright. I also run a 1w super flash on the non drive side in flash. Lastly, a helmet mounted blinky. Not so bright, but high up and very noticeable.

Front:
Sadly, so far just a cateye el-350. Looking forward to something better up front. I'll keep the 350 as a blinkie, secondary, or backup.

When I used to commute in Rochester along the canal, I had a Nightsun set up, That was marvelous! The headlight on high was the tail light tube was visible from miles away. A 10 and 25 watt halogen head light with great handlebar mounts. Downsides. Runtime was enough on low to there and back, but wouldn't be with this commute. If you lost low beam bulb, well you could use the high, while the battery lasted. And sometimes the pack obscured the tail light.

If only they'd adopt LED headlights I would purchase the new one in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, they seem stuck on filaments and their offerings have not changed much (well they dropped the GREAT LED tail light for Xenon strobe, and batteries are marginally better.) since I purchased them in the early 90's.