Old 08-23-13, 01:41 AM
Zef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is interesting as it seems like Scott knows some of their products have problems but do not do anything to inform their customers.

Case in point: In 2010 I bought a Scott Spark full suspension mountain bike that I mostly used for commuting. Two years later the military moved me and after moving and unboxing/reassembling the bike I was experiencing a weird sensation of my rear wheel slipping while riding on the roads near my house. Upon inspection I found that the right chainstay had sheared through a few inches behind the bottom bracket by the chainstay bridge. Living overseas I had difficulty finding a Scott dealership that could/would help with this so I contacted Scott directly. They informed me that they had a batch of frames that had an overheated weld and they were all failing in the same area as my frame. I phoned the shop I bought it from to find out if they knew about this and said it was the first they had heard of it. Scott sent me a new chainstay assembly which I was able to easily bolt in place (thankfully this was a fullsuspension bike otherwise it would have required a total teardown/rebuild and a new frame). After purchasing my bike I had registered it with Scott so although I am thankful that they warrantied the broken part of the frame I still find it very disconcerting that they did not reach out to customers or the shops that sell their bikes to let them know some of them had a problem. Had I deployed and the bike put in storage for a year and found the problem down the road the warranty would have expired and I would have either been fighting with Scott or looking for a new frame. The issue the OP has experienced confirms, in my mind, that there is a systemic issue with Scott as a company knowing about problems with their problem but not taking the responsibiliy to do anything about the problems unless the customer presses the issue. I wonder how many folks have gotten screwed on something that should have been a warranty issue that Scott should have recalled to prevent the failure of a problem frame/part.

-j