Old 08-23-13, 09:29 AM
Crabtree4

Bikes: 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Tom:
I rode a 2005 Sequoia Comp for several years starting in about 2009. All stock. Had the same carbon fork, seat stays, and seatpost that you referred to. Dura Ace triple. Stock Alex wheels. I liked the bike. It did fine for me. Rode many metric centuries, but never got above 80 miles on a single ride with that bike.

This year I upgraded to a Giant TCR Advanced SL. Obviously this is a different geometry from the Sequoia or the Roubaix. The stock Giant wheels are certainly different (and I think probably better) than the Sequoia's stock wheels.

However, I will say that there is a night and day difference between riding the two bikes, and I do attribute at least a large part of it to the all carbon frame. The TCR is so smooth compared to the Sequoia. I still know the road is there--this certainly isn't a "mushy" bike--but I don't get beat up. FWIW I'm a heavy rider ranging between 180-210 on these bikes. My reaction to the TCR during my first ride (just 11 miles) was "Wow! If I had known how nice this would be I would have upgraded my bike a long time ago."

I'd say upgrade -- as long as you find a bike that fits you and that you will enjoy riding. Good luck in your decision.

Crabtree4 (former Oregonian!)