Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
5 and 10 Year Ago

Right about this time of year, 10 years ago, Rowan (from Australia) and I (from Canada) were riding the Paris-Brest-Paris, a long distance cycling event in France (1200 km in 90 hours or less). Toward the end of the event, on August 22, we met in person for the first time. (We had "met" a few months earlier online, on a cycling forum called Bikeforums, and had chatted briefly about the upcoming Paris-Brest-Paris, but had not made any plans to meet in person.)

A year later, we met again when we rode the Great Southern Randonnee (another 1200K in Australia). A year later, we rode the Last Chance 1200K in Colorado/Kansas ... as a couple.

Since we met back in 2003, we have logged thousands of kilometres of cycling in Randonneuring events in 4 countries, during a couple 24-hour races, and throughout training rides, tours, and travels in 12 countries.

We've also acquired a stable of bicycles including (but not limited to) a pair of Shoguns, a pair of titanium, a pair of touring bicycles, and a tandem.

5 years ago today, Rowan and I set off on a 100 mile ride in the Jasper area. When we finished, my parents, one of my cousins and his wife gathered with us on the dock at Lake Annette. And there, we were married.

So today ... Happy Anniversary to us!!