View Single Post
Old 08-24-13, 10:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Curiouswill

...Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking of something like this. Suppose I put a small washer or nut on the inside and fill the space between this and the ear with JB weld, would that work? Theoretically, this should allow me to use stronger material to fill the bulk of the empty space and then fill in the remainder of the space around the outside of the nut but within the ear more cheaply. Is this sound?

thank you for your advices
Yes, a nut, drilled out, then filed to fit with JB Weld only as a gap filler would offer more structure than JB Weld alone. The strength still comes from the ears themselves, what your doing is supporting the walls so they can't buckle. If I remember it was the lower wall of the left ear that seemed to be most compromised, so make sure it's well supported.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.