View Single Post
Old 08-25-13, 08:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
What Would You Do?

So I happen to have two Fujis with issues. One is a 1981 S12S (black), the other is a 1983 Team Fuji (brown).

The chrome on the fork crown of the S12S is pretty much toast. Sure I did the OA routine, but it was badly pitted, and OA does not cure that. But the rest of the frame is pretty decent. Meanwhile, on the Team Fuji, the only thing decent is the fork. The frame had quite a bit of rust, which I have treated, but it is beyond touchup paint. It would need a PC job or a better painter than me.

As luck would have it, both frames are the same size. Forks are identical weight wise. Color is the remaining issue.

I don't have much into either bike, so I will be OK financially. The Team was bought as a donor (it had obvious issues), while the S12S was picked up as a partial bike.

The choices are:

1. Rattlecan the Team fork black (keeping the chrome fork crown).

2. Strip the Team fork down to the chrome, and hope the fork leg chrome is presentable.

3. Rebuild the S12S with its crappy fork, maybe paint the fork crown???

The Team was one model up in the product line back then.

The chrome on the S12S fork is worse than it looks, and the chrome on the TEAM fork is better.

Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.