View Single Post
Old 08-26-13, 08:50 AM
erief0g

Bikes: 2012 Trek 2.1C Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very new to the forum and also newly back into cycling. Enjoyed the comments to this and am glad that I'm becoming more prepared. After looking at the replies I think I'm in reasonable shape. A LBS was closing due to retirement and had a great deal on a medium topeak qucik release seat bag. It expands if required but I haven't done that yet. Inside I keep a spare tube with a pair of nitrile gloves wrapped around the tube and then it put back into the tube box. (box is a bit rounded but still protects the tube), a zepplin cO2 inflator with two cartridges, a tube patch kit, all allen keys for bike (separate allen key set from auto tools with rubber band around them), expired ID with house key attached, $12.20, and a pair of tire levers.

In PA they punch a hole in your license upon expiry when they give you your renewed license. It's still considered legal ID so I ran a key ring through it and added a house key and tucked it in the pocket inside the seat bag. The money is $10 for whatever and two ones and two dimes in case I get stranded and need to catch the closest bus. Bus is $1.10 so I have exact change twice. lol.

I've sat out on the porch and watched the rain as I took my tire off, removed the tube, and then reassembled and reinstalled so that I have that comfortable.

I know that I urgently need cycle shorts followed by pedals and shoes but being that I'm in the infancy of my addiction I must maintain restraint and pace myself. As I cleaned the bike and noticed the torque specs labeled everywhere on the bike I realized that a good purchase which should serve me well was also a 1/4" torque wrench. As my wallet is also in shock due to recent bike purchases (his/hers) I opted for a chinese click type for less than $30 total. I can already tell that I will eventually want a chain whip and cassette removal tool but I think I'll get by without it for another four hundred miles on the bike. (at current pace that is about 2-2.5 months)

I'm also in the market for some good degreaser. I've been considering the ZEP citrus stuff at home depot but I'm also going to give a tshirt/rag with WD40 on it and floss the cassette to clean it. Being new to road I think I've got to try a few different things to see where my moneys best spent and I sure own rags and WD40. lol.