Thread: knee pains
View Single Post
Old 08-27-13, 01:24 AM
ch3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to MEC this morning for a basic fitting. He said my bike is a size bigger and was kind of laughing that the shop I bought from 2 months ago, sold it to me regardless. I tested it on the stand and he did all his accurate measurements. He gave me a zero offset seatpost so the seat can come all the way forward and changed the position of the cleats to the back set of holes. He then suggested to swap the stem as well with a 1cm longer one, but I didn't want to change it there.

Right after I went to the original local store from where I originally bought it to see if they'd swap the stem for free, since they had already done it in the past. When I explained the situation to the guys in the shop, they also started laughing about MEC's advices and how much money I spend there. Only then I realized that they were also doing fitting as well, which I didn't think since they didn't have any of the fancy equipment. One of the guys just picked up a break cable and a heavy bold to check where my knee sits against the pedal at 3 oclock. He brought my seat back a couple of centimeters and said not to worry about the steam. He also did a more accurate placement of the cleats. He mentioned several times his 20 years experience in fitting with various equipment, but these days he just does things by eye. They didn't ask for money.

I regret not talking first to the store I originally bought it, which would have probable saved me the $60 I spend at MEC + $50 for the seatpost. I am not sure yet who of the two did the better fitting, but somehow the experience at the local store was better and more trustworthy. I will try to go on a longer ride before I go to see if there is any difference.