24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimF22003
Hi Chris,

I've done this ride 4 or 5 times now. As far as I know the routes have never changed, so this is probably correct.

There are no police involved unless there's an accident All of the riding is out on the open roads, but it's all back farm country roads with very little traffic. I can't recall if there are markings on the road, but I'd be surprised if there weren't. This ride has LOTS of participation, so most likely you'll never be in a position where you won't see riders in front of or behind you.

There are some nice rollers, but no major climbs.

For the full century the ride is split into two parts, and the halfway point is back at the start. That makes it easy to dress for the cool weather in the first loop, and then drop the extra clothes for the second loop. I'm not sure what parts are cut out for the metric route.

It's a great event. Have fun!
While they still have the routes posted from 2012. The website says that different routes will be posted for 2013, at the beginning of next month. I did take a look at some of the roads, from the 2012 routes. My main concern with some of the back country roads is. While less traveled by motorized traffic, is the pavement.

Seeing that you live in Northern VA, if you have ever been on Schaeffer Rd. and White Grounds Rd. that run along the edge of South Germantown Regional Park, some spots seem like real good 'tire poppers'. That is why I ask about the BRC routes having potential like that. A road less traveled, is also a road less maintained. Schaeffer and White Grounds Rd. certainly qualify for that definition.