Old 08-29-13, 10:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I would get a road bike if you plan to ride on the roads. The Burke Gilman and Interurban trails are paved, so they count as roads as far as this goes. Sounds like you've already bought a bike (woot!) so I'm just saying this in case anybody finds the thread on Google while looking for advice...

Originally Posted by kingsqueak
My friends who live there have been telling me there are just epic miles of paths along the water, sounds like an amazing place to cycle compared to many. Here in NJ I'm lucky to make a 10 mile ride on paths without being in traffic by comparison. I've been told that 50 mile runs out there are no problem.
Here's my version of the best ride in Seattle. I have no idea where you live, but it's a loop so the starting point is pretty flexible.

Ride along the BGT heading east from Gas Works Park to Montlake, head south over the bridge, go right just after the gas station, and then follow the Lake Washington Loop. You'll ride 10 or 15 miles along the lake shore, with views of Mount Rainier and the Cascade Range on a clear day. When you come to Seward Park, go into the park and make a loop, then take Orcas up to Beacon Hill, follow Beacon north until you hit the Chief Sealth Trail, go left, come out on 15th Ave and follow it north until you've gone over the bridge, then ride down to the waterfront. Follow that into Myrtle Edwards Park, ride the "beach" through the park, follow the trail through the train yard, up into Magnolia, and come down through the Locks. On the far side, you wind up back on the BGT.

It's important to do the loop a few times, because there's endless variation. Some days you go to Beer Shiva Park and take more Chief Sealth Trail, other days you keep going around the southern half of the lake and come home on the I-90 trail.

Also, you can make a loop around West Seattle, including Alki, and get a lot more saltwater miles in. There's a different loop around the northern half of the lake, or just the whole thing, but the southern half is the most scenic. And for a shorter ride, like after work, do a loop around Lake Union.