View Single Post
Old 08-30-13, 12:36 PM
mstraus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am seriously considering getting an AWOL Comp, but non available yet to try/look at. Anyone know when they will actually be in stock in the US??

My LBS said its extremely similar to the Salsa Vaya (comp aligns well with Vaya 2, regular AWOL with Vaya 3). I have been considering the Vaya 2 as well, but don't have in my size and I really love the black look of the AWOL vs off white of the current Vaya 2 (I guess color shouldn't make my decision). I have also looked at the Tricross, and seriously debated the 2013 Tricross elite steel disk at a great price. Main reason I didn't want to go with the Steel Tricross was the components were not the level i wanted so savings would instantly be wiped out upgrading (derailers, brakes, etc). The higher end 2014 tricross has better components but steel is no longer offered. I really want a steel bike for the ride and load bearing capability.

I want this bike for regular commuting (17 miles each way) plus some light to medium touring. Mix of weekend camping or longer credit card touring, so probably would't load up TOO heavy. I do wonder if the gearing will be OK when it gets loaded up. Also like the fact that with the right tires I can tackle gravel or dirt roads. I think the AWOL will fill a niche nicely between my much more aggressive road bike and mountain bike.