Old 09-21-05, 07:12 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I've stated this a few times recently, so if you've seen it already, I apologize. My '83 le tour frame, completely stripped of parts, 23" size, 4130 cro-moly, weighs 5 lbs., 8 ounces. I built it up into a commuter/tourer, using mostly new parts, including drivetrain and wheels, and the complete bike weighs 25 lbs. 6 ounces. These weights aren't anything to get excited about, but they're not bad either, considering the purpose for which I use the bike. The truth is, with a new 4130 frame that's more than likely welded instead of lugged and is built for the same type of duty as this frame, you wouldn't shave more than a few ounces off the frame weight, if that. That's one reason I think bikes like the old Schwinn road bikes from the early to mid '80's are so well suited for this type of thing. They're bomb-proof, and the geometry is relaxed so you can carry a load without compromised handling, and they don't weigh a ton........So anyway, that's what I know about it. I would think that the frame weight of a mid-'80's 4130 World Sport would be so close to the same as the le tour it wouldn't be worth mentioning, if not the exact same. And since the World Sport is a twelve speed, as was the le tour I'm talking about, the overall weight would probabaly be very, very close as well. I would think around 26 pounds for the whole bike, with the original components........One more thing, I wouldn't put TOO much emphasis on the frame weight of any bike. The way it's built up, especially the wheels, cranks, etc. will usually make more difference in weight than the frame itself, unless you're talking about a frame that is unusally heavy or unusually light. That was one reason not long ago I was surprised to see the weight of an '80 Traveler listed at 32 lbs., and an '85, even with a lighter frame, listed at 26 lbs. Six pounds is WAY too much to attribute to just the frame, so the components must have gotten a LOT lighter, too. Hope this helps. BTW, I don't blame you for sticking with the original color on your Traveler. You get attached to those old Travelers.......I wish I still had mine-