Old 09-03-13, 12:00 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
In my saddle bag:

I'm leery of depending entirely on CO2 inflation. If you blow your spare tube and your backup - and that DOES happen - and you only have a couple cartridges, you're walking or making the Call Of Shame. Before cell phones were a convenient size, I once walked 2 miles in cleats because I got a cut in the tire, which blew the tube, and then the spare blew, and then the patched original tube blew. Now I carry an energy bar because the wrapper can be used as a boot to cover the cut, and get you a little farther.
I got a fancy Lezyne pump that attached below a bottle cage. It is a hand pump but also a CO2 inflator, and has a bracket for one cartridge. When a flat comes, use the pump to get a little air into the tube, seat the tire, then unscrew the pump and screw in the CO2. If a second flat happens, you've still got the pump.

I rode around with it for two years and never used it. Last week, I used it twice in three days.