View Single Post
Old 09-03-13, 04:26 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's no reason that you can't enjoy a 1x? system's clean lines and simple operation without needing any extra stuff. Bike companies have been selling 1x? bikes for 50 years and continue to do so. These wok fine and rarely drop chains when used on paved roads. Off road and CX is a different story because of all the bouncing around, but for on road use you need only a good chainring made for single speed use (without shift gates), and good chainline. A chain with highly good bellmouth on the inner plates also helps because it picks up sprockets better when coming from an angle, but most chains are fine in this respect.
50 years ago, it was 1x5 on 120mm rear ends with awesome chainline. The game has changed,obviously, and nowadays most 1x_ completes will at least have a "bash" ring, which is less about bashing and more about preventing dropped chains, afaict.

Very good point about using a "ss" style ring, though; those long, uniform teeth go a long way towards keeping chain retention. But I fail to see how a 1x_ is cleaner or more simple than a 2x_.

I think ppl gravitate towards 1x_'s because it seems like a smart, easy way to find middle ground between a SS and a f/r derailer system. They were super popular about, what, 8 years ago? I blame Salsa for hyping it more than most of the other companies, but surely there are other ppl to blame. But, I feel like it isn't simple or wise to spend money on a new ring and/or bashring or shorter chainring bolts plus maybe a dogfang or chainkeeper, and then have some orphaned rings, front shifter, and FD stuck in the parts bin. All of this complication to achieve false "simplicity", with the bonus consequences of reduced range and less reliability.

PS- What do most brifter ppl do? Do they buy a left-side brake lever, or do they just leave the impotent shifter where it is, trying to keep its life worthwhile as a brake lever only? (I think doubletap brifters allow removal of the shift paddle, but what about the rest of em?)