Old 09-04-13, 05:16 PM
Gustavoang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring for the first time, and doing it on a cheap hybrid with little preparation

Hello, everyone.

Before I go ahead and do something crazy I'll regret later, I'd like to get some advice on whether to do a tour given the circumstances below.
  • About me: I'm 26 years old and fairly fit. I go to the gym 3 times a week, where I've been following a hypertrophy + core strength building program. I cycle to work every day, doing 2 miles roundtrip. However, in the past year I've done 6 "long" routes of 20-40 miles each. I know a fair bit about bike maintenance and repairs, but little about nutrition and endurance.
  • About my bike: Cheap and heavy hybrid, but well maintained.
  • About the route: I haven't worked out the details yet, but I have 8 days in mid-October. I'm intending to do it in Europe (the UK preferably), but considering the time in the year I'll probably go to Southern Europe where the weather will be better. I'm hoping to do at least 40 miles per day every day, but I don't know how realistic this is. I was also hoping to camp (also for the first time), and again I don't know how realistic this is.

I have a tendency to not do things until time is right, so I can always find reasons not to do the tour yet. And so I fear that I'll never be happy enough to do the tour. I know it won't be a perfect ride considering the issues pointed out above, but should I even be considering whether or not to do it? Should I lower my expectations in any of the points above? Do you have any other tip, such as any literature to read?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm willing to dedicate serious time to prepare for this, including doing a few long routes in the next few weeks.