Old 09-05-13, 10:25 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ravenhog
This is the route I take to get connect from the Pioneer Trail to the Interurban. I have ridden it in during all hours of the day and a few times before sunrise
http://goo.gl/maps/coMnK
Nice! Our routes are nearly identical from where the OP wants to start to where you turn north on Milwaukee. I kept going a few blocks further to the northwest to get over onto the Interurban trail one mile sooner. I'd be curious to hear if you have tried 140th instead of 138th/137th and if the latter is better? 140th was a quiet tree-lined industrial street when I went down it. It has a turn lane down the middle so any traffic should be able to overtake you safely, but it also has wide sidewalks on both sides of the street. In fact, the sidewalk on the west side of the street looked like it was MUP width.

Regarding my cue sheet posted above, ignore the references to bike shops, I wanted to know where the nearest bike shops to my route were in case I had any problems with the bike I had just picked up from a Craigslist seller. None of those bike shops are directly on the route I gave, but where they appear in the cue sheet is where I would diverge from it to go to one of them if I needed to. I actually went to Bonney Lake Bicycle Shop of Sumner early in my ride and they were super nice and helpful. Highly recommended. Also, where my cue sheet says "cross the Green river one last time" is where I exited the trail and started working my way through industrial areas towards Alaskan Way. The Green River Trail extends just a little further beyond that if one stays on it. If you follow my cue sheet it will take you to the Boeing Museum of Flight, and you can ride around the outside of it and check out a number of interesting aircraft. Just before the museum is Randy's restaurant, which on the inside is like a teenage boys dream bedroom, as it is filled with model aircraft hanging from the ceiling and all the booths have neat coffee table aircraft books. The buffalo burger there is pretty good!

BTW, what I picked up was a 1994 GT Corrado. Eventually, when I have the time and funds this will be built up into my commuter, replacing my low-end 1993 GT Outpost that has been serving admirably in these duties. I love old steel GT mountain bikes, but the Outpost is a little heavy and I suspect it has a hi-tensile rear triangle, it doesn't ride as nice as I'd like. It has done a fantastic job for me, to the tune of about 100 miles a week commuting and on longer rides, including an over-nighter to a bed and breakfast and regular 35 mile days, but I had been keeping an eye out for something similar, but with nicer tubing. The Corrado was the last of the high end steel frames that came from the factory for GT, although for a few years after you could order another model custom from their shop. Aluminum supplanted steel for all the nicer bikes the next year. Suffice it to say, I'm stoked to finally have a nice bike! Even if it is 20 years old, and has obviously seen a lot of miles. I'll end up replacing nearly everything on it anyway, it is the frame that I'm most interested in, although it came with an interesting mix of high end components. It's lighter than I thought a steel framed mountain bike could be which I assume is due to the double butted Tange tubes and the triple-butted GT Bologna Lite fork. It also has the vaunted GT "groove tube" which is a first for us (my girlfriend and I) despite having a fleet of six GT's at the moment and having had another before it was stolen.

I'm in the middle of typing up my ride report. Should have it done tonight.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 09-05-13 at 10:37 PM.