View Single Post
Old 09-07-13, 07:40 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I don't commute, so the idea of changing a flat isn't a deal breaker for me. That said, I don't get many flats. I choose light, supple tires every time over heavy, rigid tires with super-duper flat protection and I'm happier for it.

Yes, the new Challenge 30mm tire (now called the Strada Bianca) has an orange strip under the tread for increased flat protection. I haven't ridden them. I've ridden several of the Grand Bois tires and I believe they're probably the best clinchers out there for a fast, light and comfortable combo. The 32mm Cypres are pretty damned awesome. But, they won't fit in your budget. Same for the Challenge offerings.

You might consider the Soma New Xpress tires. They're within your budget, are reasonably light with low rolling resistance and offer great flat protection.

The Panaracer Jack Browns are very nice tires if your bike can handle 35s. I will say the difference between the Kevlar lined model (blue label) and the one without (green label) is like the difference between bricks and pillows. Like the Grand Bois tires, they last a good while. Consider this when setting your budget.

The Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires (now called the Voyageur Hyper) has a lot of fans as well. I have not tried them, but I'd consider them if I needed a tire like that for the right bike.

I'm also a user of Scott's Tire Savers. I think they probably offer me some extra protection and they're a great conversation starter on group rides.
Did challenges prices go up? It's been a while, but I thought I paid much less last time.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)