View Single Post
Old 09-07-13, 10:33 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 890 Posts
A few more pictures from today's ride, and some comments:
(this is the first, paved block of the Marblehead Rail Trail, being used as a driveway by the abutters)

(a more typical stretch of the Marblehead Rail Trail)

The historic district in Marblehead is a hilly, densely-packed jumble of fisherman's houses built in the 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries. It's genuinely beautiful.

Fort Sewell has layers of history, a great view of Marblehead harbor, lots of benches to sit on while you're enjoying that, and public toilets. Worth a visit.

Marblehead Neck has larger, more recent (19th & 20th Century) houses, and prior occupants.

Lynn Shore Drive is a good place to ride. The Lynnway emphatically ain't: heavy traffic, pretty fast, indifferently-trained drivers, some behavior that looked a bit like racing in cars with tuned (LOUD) exhaust pipes, no shoulder. The bridge across the channel to the marsh has a great view, but everything bad about the Lynnway goes double for it: the cars speed up, the pavement develops weird ridges, and there's a lifetime supply of broken glass silting up along the margins of the right-most lane. There does appear to be a pedestrian walkway on the East side of bridge, but it's closed on the West side, so using it when riding South is problematic at best. The interesting view is not worth the interesting ride. I'm glad I did it, once. Also glad I didn't get squished. I'm pleased that my tires appear to be ok.

Revere Beach Boulevard is the prize you get for being foolish enough to cross the bridge; it's nice.

A little more coming...

Last edited by rholland1951; 09-09-13 at 09:39 AM.