Old 09-11-13, 09:53 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Rode on drops for the first time

A coworker of mine gave he his old (?) Trek 1200 bike the other day. He used to ride with Pax Velo, but ended up getting another bike he liked more, so this one was just sitting around. It came with just those tiny clipless pedals and it didn't have a seat, but I fixed the seat issue pretty quick with a lucky salvage find. Managed to give it a spin the other night. Let me tell you, I had no idea how different these kinds of bikes are. Drops and a short top tube really scrunch you in weird directions, and those skinny tyres are something else. 700x32c, specifically. And the thing has frame shifters! Totally different skill set, ended up staying in first gear (out of 14) the whole way (which I think has roughly the same ratio as like my regular bike's 5th gear or thereabouts - gotta maths that later). This is also the first time I've ridden a bike with those brake levers mounted perpendicular to the horizon. That was...refreshing.

I'll see about getting some pics soon. It is a bright neon yellow kind of colour, with what could either be some serious marring or some kind of weird paint pattern.

I still have the tiny pedals attached, much less than optimal, but I'm in the middle of unpacking from a move so I haven't had a chance to go buy a wrench, new pedals and attach them yet. The thing weighs like less than nothing - first time I picked it up I almost dropped it because I over compensated.

But yeah, drops. Stoked. Once I get proper pedals, I might try seeing just how fast I can go...

M.