View Single Post
Old 09-13-13, 12:40 PM
Blue_Bulldog

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Greenville, NC... and well, I kind of have mixed experience compared to my fellow Tarheels up there.

First of all, Eastern NC is the most beautiful place I've ever ridden through. For long rides, this place is unbeaten. Just incredible. That being said, if you're not in one of the big towns up there^ and you try to live car free, like I do... prepare for some flack. People will immediately assume you had a DUI or something and *cant* drive, as opposed to not wanting to. Also, I have had more motorists fly dangerously close to me than I care to recall. I've also had a stack of people scream obscenities at me for not riding on the sidewalk... despite the fact that riding on the sidewalk is illegal as hell here. That all being said, it's actually not horrendous to ride here. If you can ignore the cockeyed looks and occasional shouts, it's pretty awesome.

Just finished my first Century Ride here last weekend. Went from Washington, NC to Nags Head, NC. It was probably right behind the day my daughter was born, as one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Utterly beautiful, amazing... you cannot imagine the thrill of riding over the Pamlico Sound.

You're gonna move here, I say bring your bike and enjoy the heck out of our state! I've heard people call NC "The Lord's Masterpiece"... and they're right!!