Old 09-16-13, 11:49 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I won my first elite race last week (not counting a madison)! I've fought hard for wins, and gotten a lot of 2nds and 3rds for my trouble - largely because there is somebody so fearsomely strong at our track. He can't ride away from anybody, but he can outsprint anybody, cling to any move, and wind up his 52x14 to respond to any attack. It's really, really hard to beat him.

Anyway, in a 12-lap tempo on the last night of the season, I finally got a short race right. At our track these races tend to shred the field - the race all happens at the front and anybody not there usually just gets off their bike or softpedals in. I started near the back, didn't trouble myself with the normal moves, and surfed the right move of a newly-upgraded sprinter heading to the front to contest for points. He and I battled for a few laps, found ourself off the front, and I was able to attack and get a few laps solo when the fearsomely-strong guy bridged up to me. We settled into a groove, but I was able to attack him late and get the final two laps on my own for the win.

I felt like I had an extra gear, an extra lung, and was just able to just keep going faster and faster - necessary in a tempo or snowball or anything where it's just the front of the race going and going and going.

i'm super pumped for next season.