Old 09-18-13, 11:49 AM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Specialized Allez, '09 Specialized Tricross Comp, '91 Schwinn LeTour (SS). '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pamaguahiker View Post
The Tour de Toona started in the late 80s. I remember Kathy winning it when i started my senior year in HS. She was a very modest racer.

I miss the event. Even after i stopped competing, i would go down every year to watch at least the Crit!
I did the research awhile ago so I would be surprised if I've got it wrong. I think I was recall him winning the Altoona horseshoe curve race in mid 70's..

Here's this: sorry, no source at the moment!

There were 2nd and 3rd place women finishers in 1987-88, but there are no records that exist both in the Altoona Library or in the Offical Toona Archives. The print media of that time, didn't reveal who they might be. Sarah Costanzo and Kathy Steel were both members of the Altoona Bicycle Club, but there was no official team. Both women still ride and live in the Altoona area today.
Kathy Steel is the widow of Ken Steel, a local legendary recreational cyclist who won the first organized unsanctioned bike race in Altoona, the 1975 Horseshoe Curve Bicycle Race. He died in January 1987, working as a firefighter, when a building collapsed on him. Ken Steel was a guy who thought 150 miles was just a nice Saturday ride. When he was discharged from the Army, he cycled back home to Altoona from San Francisco rather than buy a bus ticket. When his seat broke 60 miles from home, he pedaled standing up rather than phone for a ride. Ken always chose the most mountainous route he could find riding in the Altoona area, which provides no shortage of mountainous terrain.