View Single Post
Old 09-18-13, 11:56 AM
werks

Bikes: Bike Friday ( 2ea), Specialized TriCross Comp, Cannondale M900, Cannondale ST400 (1985), TREK T 900 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would need it to come with a suitcase. Maybe that will make me decision on large or small wheels.
I don't pretend to know which folding bike best suits your requirements. Research, research, research !
We've flown twice this summer with our Bike Friday "Pocket Companions". We paid $750US each on sale in Denver.

I shopped around the internet and purchased two Bill Blass hardside spinners that meet the airline 62" LWH requirement. Price was about $70 per bag. We each fly with 2 bags, one for the bike and one with biking accessories plus clothing.

You will need to check on individual airline costs for baggage. I flew Frontier, once economy, and once classic. Overall, I prefer the classic setup. As I recall, a bicycle is allowed to exceed the 62" standard. You might want to look into that.

Here's a few pics from this months trip to Oregon.... We love the BF's by the way. Little bikes that ride like big ones !
I'm planning to buy additional wheels so I can easily switch from road slicks to knobbies.

The airline handlers beat them up pretty good, though no bike damage to date.

Lots of foam plus PVC cloth sleeves protect the various folder bits. I can set up each bike in under 10 minutes.
I've been assembling folding kayaks for years, and compared to them, settinging up a BF is a non event.
All up weight per bag is less than 40 lbs.

All dressed up and ready to ride.

Easily worth the effort !

Once assembled, we carry the bikes in back for the trips duration. I bring along a homebuilt rack to accomodate easy transport / storage. A small SUV works best.

Last edited by werks; 09-18-13 at 12:20 PM.