Old 09-18-13, 01:26 PM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Some of the smart phone apps I have looked at also have the heart rate monitor option.

It obviously requires a separate chest strap.

Not sure how smart phone calibrates with the chest strap, radio scan I guess.

Can katsma gives us the low down on the garmen verse smartphone app please?

I have considered getting a garmen, but I can attach my phone to my bars for the cost of a £10 bracket. Many of the same features are on he appS?

Is it like a car gps. Its just simplier causes it all it does? So its a better user interface?
Charles mentioned using a Garmin GPS unit on the bike, so I got in touch with a Garmin tech support rep. Sure enough, it will give you all the info you get on a regular cyclometer except you don't need sensor devices attached to the bike. They also have the navigation ability as well. The Garmin support rep mentioned that they are coming out with a new device called the Edge Touring Plus. It comes with a handlebar attaching device so all you do is clip the GPS unit on the bars and off you go. Its apparently very sensitive giving it accurate speed and distance readings. It allows for the use of a separate heart monitor that will be available for this unit. One other thing I like about the unit is I can also use it in the car as it navigates the same as a regular GPS unit without the voice direction ability. here's the link:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into...rod143677.html

Cheers
Wayne