View Single Post
Old 09-19-13, 08:08 AM
bikedoofus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mini-v brakes, comparison with calipers?

I weigh 100kg and ride in the wet often (I like it - I'm strange like that). I use 105 calipers which I've adjusted ad-nauseum. I'm currently trying koolstop salmon pads which don't seem to help a great deal though I shall keep trying.

Currently braking is very poor in the wet - on a good incline in the wet if I exceed 30mph then I literally cannot stop, though I can reign in speed back down to 30mph normally. This is obviously rather dangerous.

I'm thinking of buying some carbon cross forks and trying mini-v brakes. These look like they have rather more mechanical advantage than callipers, but I was wondering if anyone has tried them back to back with callipers (say someone who has cross and road bikes) and how they would say they compare? I used to have a mountain bike and remember the first time I switched from cantis to v-brakes and finding the difference to be very significant - could I expect the same difference here?

The other option is of course to go for discs, but this means messing with my wheels and would cost a lot more.