View Single Post
Old 09-22-13, 01:03 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks.. the Dynastream ANT+ dongle (also known as the Suunto Movestick Mini) is MUCH MUCH smaller than the Garmin ANT+ stick and actually performs better. (Dynastream actually makes/owns the ANT+ protocol.)

I spent some time over the past week getting this working and here's what I found out...

1. It does NOT work on an HTC ONE from Verizon because Verizon are a bunch of flipping morons that couldn't possibly NOT strip an API. The support is in the kernel but the API support just isn't there for the usb host mode.
2. It *does* work on an LG G2!
3. The Suunto Dual Comfort Heartrate Strap that supports ANT is NOT compatible.
4. The Ibera cell phone mounts feel pretty darn solid and one small hole cut in the bottom of the mount is all you need for the USB.
5. Mounting the cadence sensor on a tandem with a child stoker is a serious PITA.
6. The ipbike software does have 2 parts.. one drives the sensors.. the other runs the software.
7. The absolute best setup for ANT+ heartrate is apparently a Polar chest strap with a Garmin premium unit snapped onto it. That gives you comfort, durability, and zero interference. (I'll let you know if this works for me too when mine arrives.)
8. All this stuff is expensive! :-P