View Single Post
Old 09-22-13, 01:24 AM
lwik

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Saddle

Next year I am planning a tour and I am getting my 260 lb body back in to some better riding condition. Right now I am riding a mountain bike with road tires before I buy a touring bike next year.

For the past 2 months I have been riding everyday and now trying to ride further. As I am getting over 25 miles I am noticing my but hurts which is causing a shorter next day ride. I have a basic standard gel bike seat and need to find out what I should upgrade to?

I was at the Brook's booth at Interbike Friday and they were useless narrowing in on a saddle. The guys said he went through 7 or so Brooks saddles before he found one he liked. He said just buy one and sell it on eBay if it's not a good fit. I asked, should I get a saddle that has a wider sitting area with lots of springs for support? He said on long tours my back would probably hurt from the spring motion, and a wider saddle makes no difference because of the bones I sit on are what support my upper body.

I can sit in my computer mesh chair for 8 hours and I feel good. I would still think wider is better to displace more weight? Any input on saddle comfort for larger riders?

Thanks!