Old 09-23-13, 11:04 AM
mgb

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do I learn to ride in the drops?

58 years old, 257 lbs. Riding an old style steel sport tourer with old style handlebars -- which I like. Brooks B17 saddle at the same height as the bars. It doesn't give me the "Disappears under me cloud" feeling that some report but I can do a century on it without feeling beat up. But I rarely ride in the drops.

Yesterday I did a 66 mile ride with the last 30 into a pretty stiff headwind. (This is why they tell you not to ride north on CA hwy 1! ). I wanted to be in the drops that whole way, it really makes a difference in speed and effort, but I couldn't do it. The Brooks is NOT comfortable for an extended stay in that position, and after a while, neither were arms, back, or shoulders. And my neck! Just from holding my head up.

Ok, maybe I need a new saddle, maybe I need new handlebars, maybe I need a new bike. But I'm sure that a lot of it is me. If I practice riding in this position will I adapt or just hurt? Pilates? Yoga? Those of you who can do that flat back thing, what's worked for you?