Old 09-23-13, 02:08 PM
GreatWhiteShark

Location: Because of Internet lack of security only give USA, here; want more simply ask, through messaging.

Bikes: I think I just found out (happy to finally be able to find out) that my bicycle is Raleigh's '2007 Venture 3.0 SR NEX-4000!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could not agree more with you/turbo1889!

You know the problems we (not just my community's bicyclist) have is that the roads are built to standards and even some are built to previous standards or dirt roadways and Etc. are not applicable to the standards and the standards are that Ag. vehicles (especially CMIs, those huge tractors and such vehicles <which should be parked and loading their packages on smaller vehicles to transport or put on trailers, in our community) are just too large for the lanes and when they are not driving the park on the roadways. I have had argument with CMI drivers, because they think they own the roadways, parked and driving.
; and our non-emergency police and State/County/City Governments are sick of having to deal with it.

Originally Posted by turbo1889
^ Exactly, just as the vast majority of regular automobile vehicle travel lanes need to be planned and built to accommodate not just regular cars but also heavier, wider, and longer cargo trucks including 18-wheel rigs. Bike vehicle lanes also need to be planned and built to accommodate not just regular two wheel in-line bicycles but also trikes, quads, etc . . . of reasonable width.

We could argue as to what is and is not reasonable width but to my mind 4' width is plenty and is already an established standard for golf carts and most ATV ranch vehicles (John Deer 4x6 Gator for example). A normal bicycle with a normal single rider takes up about 2.5' of width or so depending on the rider and the handlebar style used and how wide the riders arms are positioned are as a result. An extra 1.5' isn't a whole lot extra to ask to accommodate a larger array of cycle vehicles.

For automobile vehicles 5'-7' width is normal, but heavy cargo trucks, buses, motor-homes, etc. . . the width jumps up to 8'-9' and "Wide Load" tractor trailer rigs can run even wider, up to 12' width without requiring a special permit and only needing a pilot warning vehicle front and rear with the proper signage. No reason why pedal cycle vehicles wouldn't follow a similar pattern approximately 2.5' width for normal cycles and up to 4' for the wider ones. Seems reasonable enough to me and basically the same pattern.