Old 09-24-13, 04:25 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
not a track cyclist, but if there was a velodrome closer than 2hrs, id love to do it recreationally.

out of curiosity, what kind of squats are you guys doing: high bar, low bar, front? what depth are you going to? what sets and reps, and rest times do you use?

also, why do you guys think that learning olympic lifts takes forever? why stay away from power cleans?

i have a lot of questions.

also, shame for not having a picture of hoy squatting...he claims a 227.5kg/501lb squat.
As well as leg press mentioned above, during different seasons, I also did low bar and front squat...ass to grass, 3x5 reps (not counting warmup). I also did power cleans as well as dead lifts. I was generally on the Starting Strength program. Many follow the Starting Strength program then tweak it from there as necessary. It's a solid foundation that coaches from the AUS national team actually reference in their writings.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren.../dp/0982522738

For training for track sprinting, the overhead lifts, the Snatch and the Jerk, are very technical and don't really benefit the lower-body. Remember, track sprinting is a lower-body sport. So, some figure that your time and training would be better spent elsewhere. Upper-body strength is important, but only insofar as to not be so weak that standing starts hurt your back or your legs pull so hard that your fingers can't hold on to the bars. I have seen this happen. I knew a female sprinter that had very, very strong legs but didn't work on her grip strength in the gym (dead lifts, etc...) and during standing starts, her fingers would limit how hard she could push, not her legs. Once her grip strength caught up, she got even faster.

Remember, when track sprinters aren't in the gym, they are on a bike somewhere. So, standard powerlifting programs have to be cut back some to allow for that.