Old 09-26-13, 06:29 AM
evrythngsgngrn
. . .

Bikes: '96 Wheeler 7980, 2013 SuperSix-4, 2013 Felt F75X, 2015 Apollo Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my rollers for just over a week now and have been on them 4-5 times for 45-60 min each time. I've come off once (on the second ride) when I realized that I wasn't confident enough to wipe sweat from my face yet. And when I did come off, I simply put my foot down, then got back up and continued riding. I don't know what's wrong with the guy in the first video, but that was just crazy. Sure it takes some getting used to, I started the first time in a door frame, and after that first ride moved to up against a half wall in my basement just to help get started. I find the fact that you need to concentrate while riding much more appealing than having a fixed front wheel and not needing to balance. Everything I read says pretty much to use both types as they allow you to do different things. Given that I got my rollers used for $60 (CDN) with a resistance unit, and I've seen several people trying to unload their standard trainer for cheap, I'll likely pick up the other as well.

Originally Posted by sstorkel
Just remember that those $850 E-Motion rollers aren't quite the same as your garden variety rollers...
As for the E-Motion rollers, the same effect can easily be had for < $150. I used bianchi10's video as a reference and spent about $50 on hardware and $60 on the rollers(I had some materials already that would make up for the other $40):

My design is a little different, but the same basic idea (I made some mods). They're also referenced here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=free+motion

Yes they aren't right for everyone, but I find them more enjoyable to ride, and I feel that they're doing wonders for my balance, pedal stroke, and will help with being able to hold my line when in a pack when I start racing next season.