Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by LeicaLad
Dear friends,

A question regarding hub choice & hub quality.

I broke the rim on my rear wheel on my ’71 Gitane TdF, so need to build a new wheel. This is a 120mm spaced rear, so I will be building a 5-6 speed.

My hub options come down to two primary choices: 1) a lo-flange Campy Record hub with excellent bearing surfaces; or 2) a NOS Shimano 600EX 5-speed cassette hub (and I have the matching cassette for it). I’d probably spring for a new IRD freewheel for the Record build.

I’m still deciding between a Sun rim, a Velo-Orange PBP, or something similar but vintage-esque in character.

My question regards the hub quality of the choices. I have this 5-speed cassette hub but have ZERO experience with 600EX hub quality vis-à-vis a standard Campy Record hub. Anybody know this series of hubs and how they stack up?

Comments, opinions &/or suggestions accepted.

Thanks.
Whoa... a NOS 600EX 5-speed cassette hub is very rare. I bet it would be as smooth as the Record if you overhaul it- the grease is really, really old.

It depends on your intentions. If you want to impress the Great Unwashed, build your wheel on the Campy hub (Whoa! Vintage Campy!). If you want to impress C&V, use the Shimano (Whoa! Shimano 5-speed cassette hub!)

And, yes... I used 3 Whoa's in one post.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..