Old 09-28-13, 04:46 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Whoa... a NOS 600EX 5-speed cassette hub is very rare. I bet it would be as smooth as the Record if you overhaul it- the grease is really, really old.

It depends on your intentions. If you want to impress the Great Unwashed, build your wheel on the Campy hub (Whoa! Vintage Campy!). If you want to impress C&V, use the Shimano (Whoa! Shimano 5-speed cassette hub!)

And, yes... I used 3 Whoa's in one post.

It's maybe once a year in one of those "tweed rides" or such events that anyone notices me or my bikes. Old guy on old bikes.

I'll probably have to go to the Mechanics forum to get advice on tearing down a cassette hub. In fact, I've repacked many a hub, bb & headset, but, all my bikes being old, I've actually never done a cassette hub. SO, this will be fun.

Jeff, what I think I hear you saying is that the Shimano, if cleaned and repacked (correctly), should be every bit as fine in spinning. Yes? The proof of the pudding, of course, is in the long downhill coast. Will it be up to the Phil in front?

I ride with obscure and fine old bits and pieces only for my own pleasure. This is good, 'cause, as noted, no one else ever notices. ;-)

The only Whoa! that I can remember was a "Whoa! You only have 5 cogs back there??!!??"

Rip Van Winkle, he presumed. . .
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)