View Single Post
Old 10-02-13, 04:26 PM
bikelitelynn

Bikes: 1970 Huffy Express single speed, 1973 Raleigh LTD-3 3-speed, 1974 Raleigh Sports 3-speed, 1985 Hon California 3-speed folder (SOLD), 2008 Jamis Coda Femme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard
I like it ... The pic I posted earlier belongs to SWMBO (she who must be obeyed), and I discovered that for just getting around town I like the step through/ladies frame ...
So ... last night I picked up the twin of your brown 74 Sports (hub is 74-1). It's rougher than yours, but not beyond saving. I think the chrome on the rims is mostly gone :-( but I have an extra wheel :-) .

Cable replacement advise here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/cable.html
Photo, please! I love seeing the Before shots just as much as the Afters.
Good thing you have a spare wheel. I haven't cleaned my wheels yet, but they don't look bad at all, just dirty with a light sprinkling of pitting. The handlebars had less pitting, and after polishing with No. 7 Chrome and Metal Polish, they look brand spanking new! I'm anxious to try the No. 7 polish on the rims now. On my LTD I had used Barkeeper's Friend, since it was recommended to remove the thick black brake residue. It removed it easily and left the chrome shiny, but the No. 7 seems to add a shine and gloss. I guess it's like washing a car, compared to washing and waxing it.
I will definitely be using Sheldon Brown's step-by-step instructions for replacing the S-A cable. Without his site and this forum, I would never have the confidence to buy and fix up an old 3-speed. I don't know anyone with an interest in old bikes, so I am completely reliant on the internet. At least it's available at all times of the day and night!