View Single Post
Old 10-06-13, 12:44 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I had my total prostatectomy two years ago at age 53. My PSAs were still within the 'normal' range, but the rate of rise (doubled in just one year) led my Dr to retest six weeks later - results were even higher. That led to a biopsy where cancer was found in 3/4 of the samples.

The initial Dr was pushing (too hard) for the new cryo-freezing technique. He didn't seem to want to answer any questions regarding other types - so Wifey did some research and found another Dr. This one listened, and gave us all the options, and the expected results, both in cure rate success and side effects - traditional radical prostatectomy, laproscopic removal, DaVinci (robotic), radiation bombardment, radioactive seed implants and the old 'wait and see'. Some methods (radiation) would make subsequent attempts much more difficult. He said there was no 'right or wrong' and that it was our decision. I opted for a laproscopic removal.

Surgery went well. The worst part of the whole deal was the dang catheter for the ten days following the surgery. Never having had to use one before in my life, my penis was in extreme pain at the insertion point until I used a little triple-antibiotic cream as a lube, which I later learned was the proper treatment.

I had none of the expected potential side effects from the prostatectomy. I was able to sit on a Brooks bicycle seat ten weeks after the surgery with no problems.