View Single Post
Old 09-24-05, 08:13 PM
Crankaddict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Psolar face mask - not the full balaclava - in the lightest weight material they offer. I live in the mountains of TN so it will get down into the single digits for a day or so but it usually hovers in the mid 20's in the coldest parts of the winter.

I bought the mask because I have moderate to severe asthma and cold air less then 40 degrees is just about debilitating for me, even to walk the dogs, let alone cycling. The mask is wonderful! My core temp stays warm and my extremities don't get as cold since blood isn't leaving them to try to keep my trunk warm. It is the one piece of winter gear I will not leave home without. I have ridden for over 2 hours in 20 degree weather and it felt like I was breating in 60 degree air. Once you try one you won't go back to a plain balaclava or a scarf. One more thing, there is no condensation on the inside to freeze your face. The only difficulty I had was fogging of my glasses, but that was resolved by pulling the mask down below my nose and breating thru my mouth. They offer an adapter that is supposed to fix the problem. It just isn't worth the trouble for me to buy it since my system works. YMMV.

P.S. It weighs next to nothing and is completely machine washable but you will have a 'Darth Vader' look about you. I'm at an age that I don't care what I look like, as long as I'm comfy but I know some of you young'uns will have issues with the looks of the thing.