Old 10-08-13, 03:06 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharpshin
Thanks, and thanks for the quick response.

At 26" by 1.9" the Top Contacts sound perfect except for the refective sidewalls.

I often ride home after dark.

There are no lights or reflectors on my bike, nor do I wear a helmet. Without meaning to make too much of it; the option of travelling in stealth mode after dark around these parts far outweighs any concerns about "being seen by cars". Likewise wearing a helmet while riding a bike, especially after dark just spells "V-I-C-T-I-M".

Bummer, ideal otherwise.

Do you have any other tire suggestions?

Regards,

Mike
You could always paint over the reflective sidewall. Model paint would work, a permanent marker might as well, but my experience with permanent markers tells me they are only "permanent" when you don't want them to be, and wear off of everything I want them to be permanent on.

I've had really good results with Vittoria Randonneur Pros, like maybe one flat a year, and I'm about 280 pounds and ride over pretty rough streets (although probably not as rough as yours). Used to get flats all the time with lower quality tires. Not much tread to speak of though. I used to love the Town and Country's until they discontinued the smaller size. Now they feel squirrelly to me in the larger size.

If I were you I'd be tempted instead of going with thorn resistant tubes which are kind of awful, to use a Mr. Tuffy tire liner. Pretty sure it weighs less and a Mr. Tuffy pretty much turns any tire into a near bullet proof tire. Also, no mess all over the inside of your tire like when a slime filled tube does get punctured. Pretty sure a Mr. Tuffy and a Town and Country would be a great combo for you.

Good luck, and kudos to you for perservering!